Felix Tang is an intellectual property and privacy lawyer with an extensive work and educational background in computer and electrical engineering.
Felix was at Gowlings in the intellectual property group, where he worked on prosecution and litigation matters related to patents, trade-marks, and copyright. His technology expertise is in the areas of multimedia, graphics, networking and real-time embedded systems. Specifically, he worked on multimedia co-processor's for mobile phones, machine vision cameras, calculators, wireless networking and satellite digital video.
Felix completed both a B.A.Sc. in Engineering Science (Computer Option) and a M.A.Sc. in Computer Engineering at the University of Toronto. His thesis work under Prof. Steve Mann was in the areas of wearable computing, machine vision, and digital image processing. During this time, Felix contributed source code to the Linux kernel and won the Best Open Source Software Competition Award at the 2005 Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) Multimedia conference for his work on the OpenVIDIA: Parallel GPU Computer Vision project.
At the University of Ottawa, Felix completed his LL.B. with the Option in Law & Technology. He was an assistant editor for the University of Ottawa Law and Technology Journal and worked as a research assistant for Canada Research Chairs, Prof. Ian Kerr (Ethics, Law and Technology) and Prof. Michael Geist (Internet and E-commerce Law). Felix also had the opportunity to intern at:
- Exploit-Technologies, Singapore, Singapore
- Worked with both the Intellectual Property Management, and Technology Intelligence & Commercial Intelligence divisions of the technology transfer organization (TTO) of Singapore’s Agency for Science, Technology and Research.
- Department of Justice Canada, Ottawa, Canada
- Placed with the Trade Law Bureau of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.
- Granted Level II (SECRET) security clearance.
- Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic, Ottawa, Canada
- Worked on matters related to telecommunications, competition, administrative, consumer protection, and privacy law.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), Washington, D.C
- Worked on matters related to privacy law.
Felix understands that good legal advice, is good business advice, and would be happy to use his knowledge to solve your problems and help you grow and manage your business successfully.